Architect. Born in Glasgow, Browne trained there and in London, before winning a Pugin Travelling Scholarship (1878), which he used to study in Paris. His professional career was based in Edinburgh, and that is where most of his great buildings lie. He formed a partnership with Sir Robert Rowand Anderson (1834 - 1921) between 1881 and 1885, and went on to form a partnership with J. M. Dick Peddie (1853 - 1921) from 1896 until 1908. He lived on Queen Street in Edinburgh. It was in that city that most of his prodigious output is to be found. This includes the Royal Hospital for Sick Children (1892), Edinburgh Central Library (1887-9), built in the French Renaissance style, the Caledonian Hotel (1899 - 1903), the Scottish National Memorial to Edward VII (1922) beside Holyrood Palace, a studio for sculptor D.W. Stevenson (1842 - 1904) and work on various houses and churches. He also designed Miss Cranston's Tea Room (1896-7; now the Clydesdale Bank) in Buchanan Street, Glasgow, the Swan Memorial Hall (1895) in Kirkcaldy and, around the country, a number of branch offices for the Royal Bank of Scotland and the former British Linen Bank.
Browne served as President of the Royal Scottish Academy between 1924 and 1933. He died in England.