Architect. Born in Glasgow, the son of prominent merchant, Honeyman was educated at Merchiston Castle School in Edinburgh, followed by the Universities of Edinburgh and Glasgow. He practised in Glasgow and became one of the leading domestic and church architects of the late 19th century. He maintained a partnership with John Keppie (1862 - 1945) and latterly with Charles Rennie Macintosh (1868 - 1928).
His buildings are primarily in Glasgow, although he was also responsible for St. Michael's Parish Church in Edinburgh (1883), together with a number of churches and country houses across Central Scotland. In Glasgow, Honeyman built grand houses, churches, public and commercial architecture, including the Trinity Church (now the Henry Wood Hall, 1864), the Ca' D'Oro (1872), Rockvilla School (1877), the Barony North Church (1880) and the Elder Park in Govan. His publications include The Dwellings of the Poor.
Honeyman also served as President of the Glasgow Archaeological Society and Governor of the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College.