Jute baron. Born in Lochee (Dundee). By 1827, Cox was running the textiles business started by his father. He formed a partnership with his brothers (1840) and set about building Cox Brothers into the largest jute manufacturing concern in the world, which by 1885 was employing 5000 people. He invested in shipping and railways at home and in the USA. His stature in Dundee brought him the office of Lord Provost of the city between 1872-5. A small part of his Camperdown Works in Lochee is preserved, along with the remarkable edifice of Cox's Stack, a chimney measuring 85m (282 feet), built by James Maclaren in 1866 and modelled on an Italian campanile. His name is remembered in Cox's Park, lying to the north of Balgay Hill in Dundee, which he gifted to the city.