Located close to Hamilton House on the S margin of Prestonpans, Northfield House is a well-preserved 17th Century L-plan house situated in a large walled garden. Based on a house originally constructed 1580-90, it was purchased in 1607 by Joseph Marjoribanks, an Edinburgh Burgess, who considerably extended the property. Above the door Marjoribanks placed the inscription 'Exep the Lord Buld Inwae Bulds Man', together with the initials and arms of himself and his wife and the date (1611). Inside fine tempera-painted ceilings survive in remarkable condition, having been rediscovered under later work in 1956. During the 17th Century the house was owned by the Hamiltons of Preston.
The architect W. Schomberg Scott, who purchased Northfield as his home in 1954, undertook significant conservation work. Recently the house has been owned by East Lothian Council, but was sold in 1999 and returned to private ownership. The current owner has embarked on an ambitious programme of restoration.