Paxton House is located close to the English border, on the north bank of the River Tweed, some 4 miles (6 km) west of Berwick-upon-Tweed. One of the finest Palladian country houses in Scotland it was built by John and James Adam in 1758 for Patrick Home (1728 - 1808), who also amassed a fine library in the house. Paxton was given to the nation by his descendant, the Labour Member of Parliament John Home Robertson (b.1948), and since 1993 has been an out-station of the National Galleries of Scotland. It contains a fine collection of Chippendale furniture, which formed the original furniture in the house, together with Regency furniture designed by William Trotter of Edinburgh.
In 1811, Robert Reid (1774 - 1856) added the largest purpose-built picture gallery of any Scottish country house, which now contains more than 70 fine paintings.
The house lies amid 32 ha (80 acres) of gardens, parkland and woodland and includes a restored Victorian boathouse and a fishing museum.