Located in the small settlement of Hollandstoun on the Orkney island of North Ronaldsay, Holland House was the Laird's house, built in the mid-18th century for James Traill, an Edinburgh lawyer, who purchased the island in 1727. The house was extended to the south in 1873 and the west in 1905, with the addition of a castellated tower. The house remains in the hands of his direct descendants. Three cannon, which were retrieved from the wreck of the Crown Prince in 1744, stand facing the sea. The adjacent walled garden provides the only significant concentration of trees and shrubs on the island.