Situated behind a massive Ionic portico on Union Street, the City of Aberdeen's main thoroughfare, this A-listed venue was built as the Assembly Rooms in 1822, operating as a town club for some of the wealthier inhabitants of the city and surrounding area. The architect was Archibald Simpson (1790 - 1847). Originally used for gaming, dancing and dining, in 1858 it was extended with the addition of a concert hall by James Matthews (1819-98) and opened to the public. The Music Hall is now the city's premier venue for concerts, conferences and exhibitions, with the main auditorium having a capacity of 1282 seats. This auditorium lies behind a sequence of finely decorated rooms, including the saloon which is dominated by a statue of Queen Victoria. The building benefitted from a much-needed renovation in 1985.
The Music Hall is run by Aberdeen Performing Arts, a charitable company operating on behalf of Aberdeen City Council.