A public park located on Darnley Road a half-mile (1 km) east of Barrhead in East Renfrewshire, Cowan Park was officially opened on 22nd June 1911, the same day as the Coronation of King George V. The park was the bequest of James Cowan of Rosshall, a successful haulage contractor, who died the previous year and left £10,000 to provide a park and bandstand for Barrhead, his home-town.
In addition to the bandstand, the park includes playing fields, tennis courts and a children's play area. A war memorial was unveiled in 1922. The area now occupied by the playing fields served as Barrhead Aerodrome between 1909-11. The avenue of lime trees near the bandstand was the gift of Provost Andrew Shanks to mark the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953.