A fine classical mansion and estate of the Scottish Borders, The Yair lies on the right bank of the River Tweed 2½ miles (4 km) northwest of Selkirk and 3 miles (5 km) southwest of Galashiels. Comprising three storeys and an attic, the house was built in 1788 by William Elliot for Alexander Pringle (1747 - 1827), who had returned from India with a substantial fortune and bought back his family estate four years previously. The lands had belonged to the Pringles from 1510, who also held nearby Whytbank Tower, but had been sold to satisfy creditors in the early 18th century.
The east-facing front has seven bays and a central bow, while the rear comprises a later courtyard and U-plan service court. The plan of the principal floor is simple; the entrance leads into a circular vestibule, with the main staircase to the rear, a dining room to the left and a morning room and gun room to the right. One the first floor is a drawing room and bow-ended library. The decoration is restrained classical throughout and the fireplaces are modest.
In the grounds are a stable block (dating from 1788), a lodge (1820), an ice-house and a walled garden.