The Palace of Spynie is located 2 miles (3 km) north of Elgin and to the south of Lossiemouth in Moray and is the remains of a grand mediaeval palace of the Bishops of Moray. Built on a headland which once jutted out into Loch Spynie, this fortified palace was constructed over a period of two centuries after Bishop Richard temporarily established the Cathedral of Moray on this site in 1224. A significant settlement grew up around the ecclesiastical buildings. However, within 24 years the Cathedral had been relocated to Elgin, but the bishops maintained their principal residence at Spynie until 1686. Nothing remains of the first structure, which may well have been constructed from wood. The earliest remnant of the palace which can be seen today dates from the 14th C. However, the main feature on the site is David's Tower, a massive rectangular structure which was built in the 15th Century by Bishop David Stewart and his successor Bishop William Tulloch. This represents one of the largest tower-houses in Scotland and gives views over Spynie Loch and the Moray Firth.
Spynie remains one of the largest surviving mediaeval bishop's palaces in Scotland.