Located on the shores of the Firth of Forth in the Granton District in the north of Edinburgh, the Granton Gas Works is a large industrial complex which developed from 1898. Originally built for the Edinburgh and Leith Corporations, the site passed to the Scottish Gas Board and, following de-nationalisation and break-up, is now operated by Transco, the gas distribution company, although part of the site is also home to Scottish Gas, the combined utility supplier.
The site was once dominated by three vast gasometers, the oldest, built in a distinctive style in 1902, was the first of an intended eight. The second was built in 1933 and the last in 1966. By the late 20th century all three were rarely used; the site was originally designed for the production of 'town gas' from coal which needed to be stored after manufacture. Since conversion to natural gas, which is directly piped from the North Sea, the gasometers were used only to regulate supply and pressure. The oldest gasometer was B-listed in 1998 and remains, however No.3 was demolished in 2003 and No.2 in 2004 to make way for the regeneration of the Granton water-front. Further, many of the buildings within the site, for example the retort and filtration house, a railway station and workshops, are now disused or have been demolished.