Located in the village of Crarae, 9 miles (15 km) southwest of Inveraray in Argyll and Bute, Crarae Gardens were created as a Forest Garden extending over 20 ha (50 acres) of native oak woodland. The gardens include a Himalayan Gorge containing over 400 exotic shrubs and trees, a clan garden highlighting plants associated with Scotland's Clans and four country trails. Picnic areas and visitor's centre are also provided.
The garden was begun in 1912 by Lady Grace Campbell and greatly extended by her son Sir George Campbell and finally his son Sir Ilay Campbell, who created the Crarae Garden Charitable Trust in 1978. Unfortunately financial difficulties saw the close of the garden in 2001, but following an appeal it was rescued and ownership passed to the National Trust for Scotland in 2002.