Located on Stafford Street in Oban town centre, Argyll and Bute, the small Oban Distillery was built in 1794 by brothers John and Hugh Stevenson and produces what is known as a West Highland Malt Whisky. The buildings were modernised in 1898, but little has changed subsequently. This distillery has an exhibition area, which opened in 1989, a shop and offers guided tours. Oban is one of the distilleries run by United Distillers & Vintners Ltd, an Edinburgh-based subsidiary of Diageo plc, the food and drink multi-national, which has a turnover of £12 billion. The whisky is regarded as one of their Classic Malts.