An large area of parkland in Giffnock, Rouken Glen is one of the largest public parks in Scotland. Established in 1906 following a gift from Archibald Cameron Corbett (1853 - 1933), later Lord Rowallan, the size of the park was eventually increased to 227 acres (91.9 ha). It includes picnic facilities, a restaurant, lawns, a boating pond, walled garden, trails and a Highland Glen complete with falls, cliffs and crags.
Success came quickly because Glasgow Corporation had extended the city tram network to the gates. The park proved popular for family outings, works outings and Sunday school picnics.
Rouken Glen Mansion (also known as Thornliebank House) which once stood here was built by the Smith family as their home. Architect James Smith (1808 - 1863) probably extended the house and certainly lived at Birkenshaw Cottage, another residence in the park, with his family including the young Madeleine Smith (1835 - 1928), later notorious as a poisoner. The mansion and estate were later acquired by the Crum family and a daughter, Margaret, lived at Birkenshaw Cottage, with her husband William Thomson, later Lord Kelvin (1824 - 1907). The mansion was used by the army during World War II and, having fallen into disrepair, was demolished in 1963.