An enormous teaching hospital located prominently on a hillside 2½ miles (4 km) west of Dundee city centre, Ninewells Hospital was developed from the the mid-1960s on the estate of Invergowrie House. The hospital provides specialist, maternity, acute medical and accident and emergency services for Tayside and North Fife. Ninewells was the first completely new teaching hospital in Britain, and the largest hospital in Europe at the time.
The architects were Edinburgh-based Robert Matthew Johnson-Marshall and their bright-white buildings can be seen from miles distant. Built in phases, construction began in 1964, but the first phase was not complete until 1973 and the hospital was officially opened on 23rd October 1974 by HM The Queen Mother (1900 - 2002). The hospital has continued to grow as services were centralised here and other Victorian hospitals such as the Dundee Royal Infirmary and Maryfield Hospital closed. Staff housing was built to the southeast of the site, around streets named after famous medical scientists, including Simpson Avenue, Lister Place and Pasteur Lane.
The University of Dundee Medical School is also based at Ninewells, only the second purpose-built medical school in the UK, and a Maggie's Centre opened in the grounds of the hospital in 2003.