Located on the water-front at Leith and representing a redevelopment of the central section of the Leith Docks complex, Ocean Terminal is a Edinburgh's largest shopping and leisure complex, comprising a department store, further retailing outlets, restaurants, a 12-screen cinema and a cruise-ship terminal. Opened in 2001, the architect was Sir Terence Conran (of Conran and Partners).
The complex is centred around the Britannia Visitor Centre, which provides access to the former Royal Yacht, now permanently berthed at Leith. The former Britannia Visitor Centre, located close by, now serves as the cruise-ship terminal, with the expectation of more than 60 visiting liners each year.
The building, which cost £120 million and is owned by Forth Ports Plc, is steel-framed, clad in reconstituted stone and extensively glazed. There are spectacular views from the terminal over the western section of the docks. A rotunda provides a focal point and gives access to the Britannia Visitor Centre and a rooftop viewing terrace. There are extensive car parks with 1600 spaces, together with 160 spaces in cycle racks.
Ocean Terminal was at the centre of the 'Festival of the Sea' in 2003.