A fine mansion is set in 405 ha (1000 acres) of wooded parkland in the shadow of the Pentland Hills, Dalmahoy House lies 1¼ miles (2 km) southeast of Ratho on the western edge of the City of Edinburgh Council Area. This baronial mansion was built in 1725 by architect William Adam (1689 - 1748) for George Dalrymple, Lord Dalmahoy (1680 - 1745). It was sold to James Douglas, the 14th Earl Morton, c.1750 and became the principal seat of that family. The house comprises three storeys arranged in seven bays. The east front retains its sandstone details contrasted against harled walls, but the west front was significantly altered in the 19th century. An additional wing was built in 1787 by Alexander Laing (d.1823) and an entrance porch was added to the west front in 1830 by William Burn (1789 - 1870). Still owned by the Earls of Morton, the house was restored and extended in 1990 as part of its conversion to a luxury hotel, golf and country club, which is operated by the Marriott group. The hotel includes a sport and leisure club, with swimming pool, sauna and gym.