A fine A-listed mansion of S Angus, Gagie House is located 1¼ miles (2 km) northwest of Wellbank and 5 miles (8 km) northeast of Dundee. Built in 1614 as a modest three-storey L-plan fortalice, Gagie House formed the north side of a courtyard enclosed by a defensive barmkin wall. The house is closely associated with Guthrie Castle, which lies 11 miles (17 km) to the northeast, traditionally the home of the eldest son of the Guthries until they inherited the castle. The house was extended with the building of an east wing in the late 18th century. An elegant summer-house dates from 1762.
Gagie was destroyed by fire in 1890, but quickly rebuilt. The house lost much of its estate at the time of the Great Depression when the land was subject to compulsory purchase to form small-holdings providing work. The east wing was destroyed by another fire in 1980 but the building was completely restored by the Dutch architect France Smoor as his home and the base for his architectural practice. The house includes a number of Guthrie family portraits which were purchased from Guthrie Castle when it was sold in the 1980s.