Mey, Castle of
A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer
of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and
Historical, edited by
Francis H. Groome
and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works,
Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.
This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland,
It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text
freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation.
If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave
£5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining.
Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give
what you can.
Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts
of this entry
arrogill Castle, a mansion in Canisbay parish, Caithness, on the coast of the Pentland Firth, 16 miles ENE of Thurso. A venerable pile, it was greatly improved and enlarged from designs by Burn; and (to quote Miss Sinclair) is now an imposing edifice, `with all the natural elegance of a house in London, and all the external dignity of an ancient Highland residence.' It is a seat of Geo. Philips Al. Sinclair, who, born in 1858, succeeded as fourteenth Earl of Caithness in 1881, and owns in the shire 14,460 acres, valued at £4479 per annum.
An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is
Note: This text has been made available
using a process of scanning and
optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical
errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from
the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be
different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original
text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity.
This information is provided subject to our