Melrose is a parish, which lies in the Scottish Borders Council Area, some 13 miles (21 km) west of Kelso and 14 miles (22 km) northwest of Jedburgh in the Scottish Borders.
It is split between the old counties of Roxburghshire and Selkirkshire, which disappeared following the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1974.
The parish has an area of 108.7 sq. km (41.9 sq. miles) and includes the settlement of Melrose. Melrose has 9 neighbouring parishes; namely Bowden, Caddonfoot, Earlston, Galashiels, Lauder, Legerwood, Mertoun, St Boswells and Stow. The boundaries of this parish were modified among significant changes recommended by the Boundary Commissioners after the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1889 and again by the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1894.