Sculptor. Born in Edinburgh, the second son of architect Sir Robert Lorimer (1864 - 1929). Lorimer was educated at Loretto School in Musselburgh, followed by Magdalen College (Oxford). He abandoned Oxford to study design and sculpture at Edinburgh College of Art, graduating in 1934. Over the following year Lorimer undertook an apprenticeship with sculptor and stonemason Eric Gill. Lorimer's deep religious beliefs had a profound effect on his art, motivation and choice of subjects.
Following the Second World War, Lorimer worked on a range of grand sculptures, including the massive granite Our Lady of the Isles sited on the island of South Uist and the allegorical figures representing History, Law, Medicine, Music, Poetry, Science and Theology, displayed along the frontage of the National Library of Scotland on George IV Bridge (Edinburgh). Lorimer exhibited a sculpture representing Ceres, the Goddess of Harvest, at the Glasgow Garden Festival (1988) which displayed his technical virtuosity.
He was awarded an honorary degree by the University of Dundee in 1983, followed by an OBE for services to architecture and conservation three years later. Shortly before his death he was granted a papal knighthood in gratitude for his church sculptures.
Lorimer died in St. Andrews and a permanent exhibit of his work has been created at his former home, Kellie Castle (Fife).