Botanist and first Director of Kew Gardens (London). Born in Norwich, Hooker was appointed to the Chair in Botany at the University of Glasgow in 1819. There he established the Glasgow Botanic Garden. In 1841, Hooker succeeded William Aiton, who had succeeded his father, another William Aiton (1731-93), as Superintendent of Kew. Hooker revitalised the garden, adding a museum and the world-famous Palm House. He also contributed to the scientific study and classification of plants. His specimens and books formed the basis of the Kew Herbarium and Library.
Hooker died in London and is buried at St. Anne's Parish churchyard at Kew. He was succeeded as Director of Kew by his son Joseph Dalton Hooker (1817 - 1911).