Ship owner. Born in Inverkeithing (Fife), Hutcheson's family moved to Port Glasgow, where his father established a cooperage but soon died. Hutcheson began as a clerk and worked his way up through shipping firms, eventually becoming a manager and partner at company of J. & G. Burns shipping company, which initially mainly operated steamers between the Clyde and Liverpool.
By 1851, Hutcheson and his brother Alexander were able to purchase Burns services to the Inner and Outer Hebrides, which they ran as D. & A. Hutcheson, along with their partner David MacBrayne. The set out to develop these services by operating larger ships as far north as Lochinver. They stimulated the tourist trade by leasing the island of Staffa, thus ensuring access to Fingal's Cave.
On the retiral of Hutcheson and his brother, the company passed to MacBrayne. Hutcheson died in Glasgow but was buried in the Pennyfuir Cemetery, between Oban and Dunstaffnage. An obelisk was built in his memory on Kerrera.