A town in NW Fife, situated on the southern shore of the Firth of Tay 8 miles (13 km) east southeast of Perth and a similar distance west northwest of Cupar. Under the patronage of the Abbey of Lindores, whose ruins stand to the east, Newburgh was created a burgh of barony by Alexander III in 1266. It was confirmed as a royal burgh in 1631 and developed as a port and market town for the surrounding area. During the 18th Century the town was one of the two main ports in Fife handling flax and in the 19th century the town prospered as a centre of salmon fishing and linen, jute and linoleum manufactures.
Today, industry includes civil engineering, the manufacture of clothing and the extraction of aggregates at the nearby Clatchard Quarry. There is a small industrial estate to the east of the village.
The Laing Museum, first opened in 1896, was gifted to the town by Alexander Laing (1808-92) who had made a collection of local and foreign antiquities. Designated a conservation area in 1969, Newburgh has a bowling club and a sailing club.