A wealthy suburb of NW Edinburgh, Barnton lies to the west of Silverknowes and Davidson's Mains. Numerous bungalows and sizable villas date from 1900-30, surrounded older buildings such as The Whitehouse (c.1615) and Barnton House (c.1640) which was restyled by Robert Adam in 1790 and demolished c.1900. The Barnton estate provided land for the prestigious Royal Burgess and Bruntsfield Golf Clubs which moved here respectively from Musselburgh and the south side of Edinburgh to provide a considerable green-belt. Post-war housing developments, which included the creation of luxury housing, are significant.
Close by, at Barnton Quarry, are the remains of a secret command centre dating from the Cold War.