A hamlet in an Angus parish of the same name, Guthrie lies on the upper reaches of the Lunan Water, 7 miles (11 km) east of Forfar. The Church of St Mary's at Guthrie originally belonged to Arbroath Abbey and was rebuilt in 1826. Nearby Guthrie Castle dating from the 15th century was built by Sir David Guthrie of Kincaldrum, Treasurer to James III, whose son, Sir Alexander Guthrie, died at the Battle of Flodden in 1513. The castle was enlarged in 1848 to a design by David Bryce.
The hamlet of Cottown of Guthrie lies a quarter-mile (0.5 km) to the north and Newton of Guthrie a half-mile (0.8 km) to the east.