A village of Benbecula in the Western Isles, Balivanich (Balivanish, Baile Mhanaich, Baile a' Mhanaich, Bail' a' Mhanaich or Bailebhainich) lies to the west of the causeway linking Benbecula to North Uist. The name meaning "town of the monks" relates to a monastery established here in the 6th century and the remains of Teampull Chaluim Chille can be seen to the south of the village. An airfield to the north, built during World War II, became the control centre for the Hebrides rocket range, established in 1957 at the height of the Cold War. It benefitted from a major upgrade in 2002. There are air links with Barra and Stornoway, a hospital, a community school, an office of the North of Scotland College of Agriculture and a seafood processing factory. The size of the village has grown and declined with the fortunes of the military facilities.
Between 2000-4, the Balivanich Regeneration Project has revitalised former Ministry of Defence (MoD) housing, now owned by the Western Isles Council, at a cost of £2.5 million.