A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer
of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and
Historical, edited by
Francis H. Groome
and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works,
Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.
This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland,
It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text
freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation.
If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave
£5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining.
Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give
what you can.
Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts
of this entry
aryhill, a police burgh in Barony parish, NW Lanarkshire, on the left bank of the river Kelvin, 3½ miles NNW of the centre of Glasgow, with which it is connected by tramway and by the Glasgow and Helensburgh section of the North British railway. It occupies a brae descending to the picturesque and romantic dell of the Kelvin, which dell is spanned by the four-arch viaduct, 83 feet high and 400 long, of the Forth and Clyde Canal- Maryhill possesses in itself and in its environs such strong attractions of scenery as draw many visitors from Glasgow, and exhibits for the most part a well-built, pleasant appearance. It has a post office under Glasgow, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, branches of the Royal and Union Banks, an hotel, 3 Established churches, 2 Free churches, a U.P. church, a Roman Catholic church, 4 public and 2 Roman Catholic schools, iron, bleach, glass, and print works, etc. Under Glasgow are noticed the Maryhill Barracks and the Dawsholm gasworks. The burgh is governed by a senior and 2 junior magistrates and 9 other police commissioners. Valuation (1875) £30, 939, (1884) £65, 637. Pop. of quoad sacra parish (1881) 39, 980; of town (1841) 2552, (1861) 3717, (1871) 5842, (1881) l2, 884, of whom 6525 were males. Houses in town (1881) 2240 inhabited, 691 vacant, 5 building.Ord. Sur., sh. 30, 1866.
An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is
Note: This text has been made available
using a process of scanning and
optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical
errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from
the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be
different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original
text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity.
This information is provided subject to our