A hamlet in Kenmore parish, Perth and Kinross, Acharn lies on the south shore of Loch Tay, 2 miles (3 km) southwest of Kenmore. The hamlet was built for estate workers in the early 1800s and the water of the Acharn Burn was harnessed by a mill which was converted into a craft centre in the 1970s. Its 6-spoke overshot wheel has been retained. A steep walk southwards up the burn leads to a wooded gorge with a series of waterfalls with a total height of 24.5m (80 feet). The falls were visited in 1803 by William Wordsworth (1770 - 1850) and his sister Dorothy (1771 - 1855) who noted in her diary the 'very beautiful prospect' of Loch Tay from the falls. Nearby at Croft-na-Caber is the Scottish Crannog Centre with its reconstruction of a prehistoric lake dwelling.