A former industrial village which has become a northwestern suburb of Coatbridge, Gartsherrie lies to the east of the Drumpellier Country Park, a half-mile (1 km) north of the town centre. An area rich in coal and iron-stone, the Gartsherrie Iron Works was established in 1830 by the brothers William and James Baird (1796 - 1864 and 1802-76 respectively). By 1843, with sixteen blast-furnaces, the company had become the largest pig-iron producer in the world. The works continued to do well until the end of the First World War but struggled on through nationalisation in the late 1940s until 1967, when the complex was finally closed. Both Baird brothers lived for a time at Gartsherrie House.
Gartsherrie Primary School dates from 1906, while Gartsherrie Wood is a semi-natural woodland owned by the Scout Association.