A town in Perth and Kinross, situated by Loch Leven 16 miles (26 km) south of Perth. The former county town of Kinross-shire, Kinross developed in mediaeval times in association with a royal hostelry that occupied a convenient stopping off place en route between major royal residences. Loch Leven Castle was a royal stronghold until the end of the 14th Century when it was given to the Douglas family. In 1675 the estate was sold to Sir William Bruce, architect royal to King Charles II, who built the imposing Kinross House, one of Scotland's first country houses. The Old County Buildings on the High Street were repaired and externally decorated by architect Robert Adam (1728-92), at his own expense. He served as Member of Parliament for Kinross-shire between 1768-74.
Kinross developed in the 18th-19th centuries as a coaching centre, textile town, railway junction and administrative centre. It was also noted for its cutlery trade which survived from 1680 to 1820 and 'Jooley Fair'. Today, without its former railway, it is largely a commuter settlement with a motorway service centre, leisure centre, cashmere spinning mill, car auction, Sunday market and light industries.