A Hillfoot village in Clackmannanshire, Dollar lies to the east of Tillicoultry and north of the River Devon. An earlier village was destroyed in 1645 by the Duke of Montrose while attacking the Covenanting stronghold of Castle Campbell which stands on an eminence in Dollar Glen overlooking the Devon Valley. The village expanded in the 19th century with the building of the turnpike road (1806), the development of a textile mile, the Brunt Mill (1822), and the building of Dollar Academy to a design by William Playfair (1818-20) for the trustees of John McNabb (1732 - 1802), a local herd-boy who rose to fortune as a sea captain and bequeathed money to build a school in Dollar.
Interesting buildings include the old School House, old Parish Church and Mort House, Spence Memorial Clock, Mylne Bridge, Argyle Cottage, Parish Church (1841) and Museum. During the 20th century the village grew with the development of both public and private housing.
Dollar has given its name to a mountain in Greenland, named in 1961.