Located to the northwest of the city centre of Glasgow, a mile (1.5 km) northwest of Anniesland and 1¼ miles (2 km) southeast of Drumchapel, Knightswood was developed as the largest of the inter-war housing schemes and comprises of cottages and cottage flats laid out along avenues and crescents. Developed on the Knightswood Estate, farmland which had sporadic iron and coal works, the settlement of Knightswood Rows existed by the 1860s. The initial phase of the housing scheme was equal in size to Mosspark with over 1100 homes built to a fairly grand plan. The second phase of the development saw this plan scaled back and costs were cut. In the 1960s taller blocks of flats were built to replace those prefabs which were taken down.