A southeastern district of Glasgow, Carmyle lies between the north bank of the River Clyde and the M74 motorway, 4 miles (7 km) southeast of the city centre. The eastern part of the district has the character of a village, whereas the western part is industrial. Mount Vernon lies to the north. The district is well-provided with local facilities; Carmyle railway station lies to the north, there is a post office, a parade of shops on Carmyle Avenue, two primary schools (Carmyle Primary and St. Joachim's Primary), two churches (Carmyle Parish and St. Joachim's Roman Catholic), together with Orchard Park and a bowling green overlooking the Clyde.
Dating from the 13th Century, the village of Carmyle developed in association with meal mills established by the Bishops of Glasgow. It later expanded with the building of a muslin factory in 1761, through the exploitation of local coal and in the 1780s iron smelting works were founded following the discovery of ironstone in the area. The Clyde Iron Works was established to the west in 1786 by William Cadell (1737 - 1819) and Thomas Edington (1742 - 1811). In 1829 this plant was the first to use the hot blast process invented by James Beaumont Neilson (1792 - 1865) and it grew to become one of the largest integrated steelworks in the UK, linked to the Clydebridge Steelworks on the opposite bank of the Clyde. The Iron Works closed in 1977 and the site was cleared to make way for the motorway and a large industrial estate.