Located 6 miles (9.5 km) southwest of Haddington, the River Tyne separates Easter and Wester Pencaitland though they are joined by an early 16th Century bridge notable for its three arches. The Mercat Cross is located in Wester Pencaitland and is actually a sundial, while the parish church lies opposite in Easter Pencaitland and includes a chapel which is thought to date from the late 13th century. Both sides also have pantiled cottages from the late 18th and early 19th centuries. The school, built from a donation by Lady Ruthven, is built in a heavily ornate style. Pencaitland Maltings Plant was established at the western edge of the village in 1965, with the present facilities constructed 1978. This takes barley from the surrounding agricultural areas and creates malt for the distilling industry. The Glenkinchie Distillery is located 1¼ miles (2 km) to the south.
Nearby are two 17th century estate houses, Winton House and Fountainhall (also known as 'Penkaet'). The first is a superb example of the Anglo-Scots Renaissance and was forfeited in 1715 by the Setons. Fountainhall lies some 1½ miles (2.5 km) southwest of the town and was built, under the name of Woodhead, by the Pringles but in 1685 was sold to Sir John Lauder, later Lord Fountainhall.