A village of The Glenkens in Dumfries and Galloway, St. John's Town of Dalry (once St. John's Clachan of Dalry) overlooks the Water of Ken, 3 miles (5 km) north of New Galloway. Situated on an old pilgrimage route and named after the Knights of St. John, a mediaeval settlement here was extended and developed as a planned village from the late 18th Century by the Earl of Galloway. The 12th motte can still be seen next to the sizeable Gothic-style Dalry Parish Church, which was built in 1830-32. The Southern Upland Way passes next to the churchyard and crosses the River Ken using a suspension footbridge. The Town Hall dates from 1859. Two miles (3 km) to the north, on the east side of Earlston Loch, stands Earlston Castle, a former stronghold of the Gordons of Earlston.