A settlement in Falkirk Council area, Camelon lies to the west of Falkirk, of which it is now effectively a suburb, between the River Carron and the Forth and Clyde Canal. Roman remains associated with the Antonine Wall have been excavated in the area. Founded in Falkirk in 1875, soft drinks manufacturer A.G. Barr produced Scotland's 'second national drink', Irn Bru, here until 1996 when the company moved to Cumbernauld. Camelon is the base for Britain's largest bus manufacturer Alexander Dennis, which dates back to 1913.
The Falkirk Wheel, which opened in 2002, now links the Forth and Clyde Canal to the Union Canal just west of Camelon. The canals were once linked by a flight of locks at Camelon. The settlement developed in association with the building of these canals in the 1770s, with early industries including iron foundries and nail-making, while the manufacture of chemicals and a distillery were well established by the mid-19th century. A modest ship-building yard was established alongside the canal in 1886, and the manufacture of stoves, grates and kitchen ranges was also important.
Camelon benefits from a railway station and Falkirk Sheriff Court is also located here.