An estate village of Nithsdale in Dumfries and Galloway, Carronbridge lies 1&ffrac12; miles (2.5 km) north northwest of Thornhill, near the confluence of the Carron Water and the River Nith. The A702 road joins the A76 trunk road here, the latter passing over the Carron Water on a fine 18th C. bridge. The village was built by the Drumlanrig Estate and includes the B-listed Carronbridge Sawmill. It also benefits from a primary school. Carronbridge Railway Station opened at the northern end of the Carronbridge Viaduct, 2 miles (3 km) to the north northeast, in 1850 but closed in 1953. The station was on the Glasgow South Western Line, which remains in use, passing to the east.
Drumlanrig Castle and Drumlanrig Forest lie to the northwest while a half mile (1 km) due west lies Tibbers Castle.