A soulless small town on the south side of the River Clyde, Erskine is situated 5 miles (8 km) north of Paisley. Developed by the Scottish Special Housing Association, it was one of the first post-war new towns. The fine Erskine House (1828) to the northwest of the town, home of the Lords of Blantyre, became the Princess Louise Hospital for Limbless Sailors and Soldiers during the First World War. It re-opened in 2004 as an exclusive hotel, having been renamed Mar Hall. Inscribed in the Old Erskine Parish Church (1813-14) is the motto of the Blantyre family: Sola juvat virtus (Virtue alone delights). The lands of Erskine were first owned by Henry de Erskine in the 13th century. Sir John Hamilton of Orbiston held the estate in the 17th century and in 1703 the property was acquired by the Blantyre family.