A village at the western extremity of Fife, Kincardine (known fully as Kincardine-on-Forth) is situated on the River Forth in Tulliallan Parish. Dominated by the high rise flats of Ramsay, Kincairne and Sandeman Courts, Kincardine was founded as a burgh of barony on reclaimed marshland in 1663. It developed as a river port trading in salt and as a centre of shipbuilding and quarrying.
Its attractive old town, which has many fine 17th and 18th-century houses and a mercat cross, is largely bypassed by the A985 road which crosses the Forth over the Kincardine Bridge which was built between 1932 and 1936 to a design by Alexander Gibb & Partners. The Gothic Tulliallan Parish Church built in 1833 replaced an older parish kirk with a tower dating from 1675, and Tulliallan Castle (1817-20), designed by William Atkinson, has been the home of the Scottish Police College since 1954. The Unicorn Inn was the birthplace of the physicist and chemist Sir James Dewar (1842 - 1923) who was the inventor of the vacuum flask, the first man to liquefy hydrogen gas and co-inventor of the explosive cordite.
The Kincardine Power Station, the chimney of which was also once a notable landmark, opened in 1962 but was demolished in 2001. Longannet colliery, the last deep mine in Scotland, lay 1¼ miles (2 km) to the southeast but closed the following year. The Longannet Power Station continues to operate.
Kincardine has an 18 hole golf course (Tulliallan Golf Club), a primary school, library and community centre.