A village in a parish of the same name in southwestern Angus, Fowlis (or Fowlis Easter, to distinguish it from Fowlis Wester, located west of Perth) lies 6 miles (10 km) northwest of Dundee. The lands of Fowlis were granted to William de Maule for his gallantry at the Battle of the Standard in 1138. To the south, at the head of the Den of Fowlis, stands Fowlis Castle. The parish church, a former collegiate church, was dedicated to St Marnan in 1242. The village and its parish became part of Angus (then Forfarshire) in 1854, having formerly been part of Perthshire.
The village has grown considerably from the late 1990s, with new private housing reflecting its desirable location within Dundee's commuter belt.