A northern linear suburb of Aberdeen drawn out along the south bank of the River Don between Old Aberdeen and Bucksburn, Woodside developed as a separate mill village from the late 18th century in association with cotton spinning, bleaching, papermaking, iron founding and the Aberdeenshire Canal, which gave the settlement its linear morphology. The canal was replaced by the railway and, in 1891, Woodside was incorporated into the city of Aberdeen. Thereafter tenement blocks were introduced as part of an ambitious rehousing scheme, although at a low density following 'garden city' principles. Today the Great Northern Road (A96) runs through the area, in many ways defining it, and supports many shops. Woodside House dates from c.1850 but lies on the site of an earlier property, while Grandholm Mill dates from 1797. Woodside benefits from a community centre.