A residential district of S Glasgow, Castlemilk lies a half-mile (1 km) north of Carmunnock and 2 miles (3 km) south of Rutherglen. A 13th Century castle was rebuilt here in 1460 by the Stuarts and named after their estate to the south of Lockerbie in Dumfriesshire. In 1938 the land was bought by Glasgow Corporation and the Castlemilk housing estate was developed from 1953 as one of the city's four new peripheral suburbs. Lack of employment and social deprivation resulted in a fall in population from 37,000 in 1971 to 18,000 in 1991. A regeneration strategy has focused on the creation of improved housing, and the development of local arts.