Crosslee, a village in Houston parish, Renfrewshire, on the left bank of the Gryfe, 2½ miles NW of Johnstone station. A cotton mill, built here in 1793, was burned down about 1858; and the villagers now are mainly employed in the neighbouring oil-works of Clippens. Pop. (1861) 383, (1871) 379, (1881) 400.
Note: This text has been made available using a process of scanning and
optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical
errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from
the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be
different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original
text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity.
This information is provided subject to our standard disclaimer