Fullarton, an Ayrshire burgh of barony within the bounds of the parliamentary burgh of Irvine, but lying in Dundonald parish, on the left or opposite bank of the river Irvine. With Irvine it is connected by a handsome stone four-arch bridge of l746, and from 1690 to 1823 it was supposed to belong to Irvine parish, having in the former of those years been technically united thereto; but, an appeal being made to the Court of Session in 1823, it was found to have legally belonged all along to Dundonald. An Established church, built as a chapel of ease in 1836 at a cost of £2000, contains 900 sittings, and in 1874 was raised to quoad sacra status, its parish being in Ayr presbytery and the synod of Glasgow and Ayr. There are also a Free church and a public school. See Irvine and Dundonald. Pop. of parish (1881) 4009.Ord. Sur., sh. 22, 1865.
Note: This text has been made available using a process of scanning and
optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical
errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from
the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be
different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original
text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity.
This information is provided subject to our standard disclaimer