Click for Bookshop

Carmunnock

A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.

This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland, 2002-2016.

It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation. If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave £5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining. Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give what you can.

Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts of this entry Arrow

Carmunnock, a village and a parish on the Renfrewshire border of Lanarkshire. The village, 1½ mile NE of Busby station and 5 miles S by E of Glasgow, is a pleasant little place, inhabited chiefly by hand-loom weavers, with several shops, and a post office under Glasgow. Pop. (1861) 360, (1871) 376, (1881) 486. Bounded N by Cathcart and Rutherglen, NE and E by Cambuslang, S by East Kilbride, and W by Renfrewshire, the parish has an extreme length from E to W of 3½ miles, an extreme breadth of 2¾ miles, and an area of 3490 acres, of which 11 are water. White Cart Water traces the western boundary; and the Kittoch rivulet runs in the interior. The surface is charmingly diversified with hill and dale, sinking in the W to 100 feet above sea-level, and rising eastward and south-eastward to 462 feet near Windlaw, 413 near Millfarm, 671 on Cathkin Braes, 552 near Parklee, and 691 in the SE corner of the parish-heights that command one of the widest and richest prospects in the W of Scotland. Trap is the prevailing rock; but limestone and ironstone, both of prime quality, are found. The soil, for the most part, is either a free earthy mould, incumbent on trap, or a stiff clay or argillaceous earth on a retentive bottom. About 3000 acres are arable, and some 350 are under wood, 86 acres of mixed plantations having been formed on the Castlemilk estate during 1860-62, as described in Trans. Highl. and Ag. Soe. (1871). Castlemilk House, 1½ mile S of Rutherglen, is a stately old mansion, with massive battlemented walls; its owner, Capt. Jas. Stirling-Stuart (b. 1825), a lineal descendant of the royal house, holds 2137 acres in the shire, valued at £3260 per annum. Queen Mary is said to have lodged at Castlemilk the night before the battle of Langside (13 May 1568). Carmunnock is in the presbytery of Glasgow and synod of Glasgow and Ayr, and includes, quoad sacra, a small portion of Cathcart; the living is worth £212. The parish church, standing in the middle of the village, was built in 1767, and contains 470 sittings; and a public school, with accommodation for 120 children, had (1880) an average attendance of 109, and a grant of £105,5s. Valuation (1881) £7599, 9s. 8d. Pop. (1801) 700, (1831) 692, (1861) 734, (1871) 702, (1881) 721.—Ord. Sur., shs. 22,23,30,31, 1865-67.

An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is available, or use the map tab to the right of this page.

Note: This text has been made available using a process of scanning and optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity. This information is provided subject to our standard disclaimer

If you have found this information useful please consider making
a donation to help maintain and improve this resource. More info...

By using our site you agree to accept cookies, which help us serve you better