Click for Bookshop

Bedrule

A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.

This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland, 2002-2016.

It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation. If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave £5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining. Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give what you can.

Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts of this entry Arrow

Bedrule, a hamlet and a parish of Teviotdale, central Roxburghshire. The hamlet, lying on the right bank of Rule Water, 4¼ miles WSW of Jedburgh, its post-town and railway station, consists of the parish church (rebuilt about 1803; 140 sittings), the manse, the school, and a few scattered cottages. Close to it, on a grassy knoll, are scanty traces of an ancient castle, the stronghold of the Turnbulls, where, about 1494, 200 of that fierce Border clan were brought before James IV., with halters round their necks and naked swords in their hands.

The parish is bounded NW by Ancrum, NE and E by Jedburgh, S by Hobkirk, and W by Hobkirk and Cavers. It has an extreme length from N to S of 4½ miles, a width from E to W of from 1 to 23/8 miles, and an area of 39521/3 acres, of which 35 are water. Rule Water traces nearly all the western, the Teviot more roughly the north-western, boundary; and the surface has a general eastward rise to Dunian Hill (1095 feet above sea-level), Black Law (1110), and Watch Knowe (957). The rocks belong mainly to the Silurian system, but partly also to the Devonian; the soils of the uplands are thin and poor, in places spongy, while those of the haughs are occasionally argillaceous, but chiefly a rich sandy loam superincumbent on gravel. In the S the peel tower of Fulton stands, fairly perfect, on a greensward slope, confronting 'dark Ruberslaw' (1392 feet) across the Rule; northward are a hill-fort and the sites of Ruecastle (burned in Lord Dacre's raid, 1513; and again in Hertford's, 1545) and Newton Tower. William Turnbulls, Bishop of Glasgow from 1448 to 1454, was probably a native of this parish; and at the manse was born an eminent physician, Sir David James Hamilton Dickson (1780-1850). The principal residences, Menslaws, Newton (with a fine old avenue of ash and elm trees), and Knowesouth, are all three situated near the right bank of the Teviot, along the highroad from Hawick to Jedburgh; and 3 proprietors hold each an annual value of £500 and upwards, 2 of between £100 and £500, and 2 of from £20 to £100. Bedrule is in the presbytery of Jedburgh and synod of Merse and Teviotdale; its minister's income is £212. The public school, with accommodation for 84 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 39, and a grant of £36,13s. Valuation (1880) £4809. Pop. (1831) 309, (1861) 222, (1871) 292, (1881) 269.—Ord. Sur., sh. 17, 1864.

An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is available, or use the map tab to the right of this page.

Note: This text has been made available using a process of scanning and optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity. This information is provided subject to our standard disclaimer

If you have found this information useful please consider making
a donation to help maintain and improve this resource. More info...

By using our site you agree to accept cookies, which help us serve you better