A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer
of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and
Historical, edited by
Francis H. Groome
and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works,
Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.
This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland,
It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text
freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation.
If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave
£5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining.
Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give
what you can.
Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts
of this entry
raigo, a village, with a public school, in Logiepert parish, Forfarshire, on the North Esk's right bank, with a station on the Aberdeen section of the Caledonian, 3¼ miles NNW of Dubton Junction, and 6½ NNW of Montrose. Craigo House, l½ mile S by E of Craigo station, is the property of Thos. Macpherson-Grant, Esq., W. S. (b. 1815; suc. his cousin, Thos. Carnegy, Esq., 1856), who holds 4713 acres in the shire, valued at £7082 per annum. Pop. of village (1861) 359, (1871) 376, (1881) 124, a decrease due to the stoppage of a flax spinning-mill and a bleachfield. See logiepert.
An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is
Note: This text has been made available
using a process of scanning and
optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical
errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from
the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be
different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original
text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity.
This information is provided subject to our