(Newton of Campsie)
A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer
of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and
Historical, edited by
Francis H. Groome
and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works,
Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.
This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland,
It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text
freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation.
If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave
£5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining.
Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give
what you can.
Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts
of this entry
ennoxtown, a town in Campsie parish, Stirlingshire, on the left bank of Glazert Water, with a station on the Campsie and Blane Valley section of the North British railway, 9½ miles SE of Killearn, 3 NNW of Kirkintilloch, and i1½ N by E of Glasgow. Founded a century since, it has always been in great measure dependent on print-works, bleachfields, alum-works, collieries, and other industrial establishments in its vicinity, and mainly consists of one long street, whose plain two-story houses present an unassuming but cleanly and comfortable appearance. It serves as the centre of traffic for all the numerous and various factories in Campsie parish, and has a post office under Glasgow, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, branches of the Royal Bank and of the National Security Savings' Bank, 10 insurance agencies, 3 hotels, a gas company, a water supply of 1876, a town hall, a mechanics' institution, and educational, horticultural, and agricultural societies. A sheriff small debt co vrt is held on the fourth Thursday of February, May, August, and November. Places of worship are Campsie parish church (1828; 1550 sittings), with a square tower; a Free church, built soon after the Disruption; a U.P. church (1784; 593 sittings); and St Machan's Roman Catholic church (1846; 400 sittings). The public, Oswald, and a Roman Catholic school, with respective accommodation for 312, 170, and 204 children, had (1882) an average attendance of 178, 75, and 152, and grants of £161, 2s., £75, 19s. 6d., and £118, 17s. Pop. (1841) 2820, (1861) 3209, (1871) 3917, (1881) 3249, of whom 1676 were females. Houses (1881) 694 inhabited, 96 vacant.Ord. Sur., sh. 31, 1867.
An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is
Note: This text has been made available
using a process of scanning and
optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical
errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from
the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be
different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original
text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity.
This information is provided subject to our