A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer
of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and
Historical, edited by
Francis H. Groome
and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works,
Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.
This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland,
It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text
freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation.
If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave
£5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining.
Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give
what you can.
Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts
of this entry
abrach, a hamlet in Aberdeenshire, and a parish partly also in Banffshire. The hamlet lies near the right bank of the Deveron, 4 miles N of that river's source, 11 WSW of Kennethmont station, and 17 SW of Huntly, and has a post office under Aberdeen, and fairs for sheep, cattle, and horses on the Thursday of July after Glass and the Friday of October before Kennethmont. The parish is bounded NE by Glass and Gartly, E by Rhynie, Auchindoir, and Kildrummy, SE by detached portions of Towie and Strathdon, S by Glenbucket, SW and W by Inveraven, and NW by Mortlach. Its greatest length, from N to S is 10 miles, its greatest breadth is 8½ miles, and its land area is 34,103 acres. The surface is prevailingly mountainous, pastoral, and bleak. The Buck of Cabrach (2368 feet) is on the eastern boundary. A continuous ridge goes from the Buck round all the south-eastern and southern boundary; another round all the south-western, western, and north-western boundary, including Round Hill (2187), Cairn na Bruar (2240), Cooks Cairn (2478), Carn Allt a'Chlaiginn (2036), Scaut Hill (1987), Hill of Clais nan Earb (1717), Cairn Chrome (1651), Meikle Balloch Hill (1521), Garbet Hill (1645), and Craig Watch (1540); and an intermediate ridge goes from the southern boundary 5 miles through the centre of the parish, dividing its Aberdeenshire section from the southern part of its Banffshire section, and culminating in Threestone Hill (2065), Hill of Cairnbrallan (2029), Round Hill (1872), and Meikle Firbriggs (1776). The Deveron, rising in the extreme S of the Aberdeenshire section, and gathering numerous head-streams thence, passes into the Banffshire section, and runs there partly in the interior, partly on the eastern boundary; its valley, where it quits this parish, sinks-to 800 feet above sea-level. The Blackwater rises in the extreme S of the Banffshire section, and runs about 8 miles, entirely within that section, to the Deveron, 2½ miles N by W of Cabrach hamlet. Bluish-grey limestone and greywacke are the prevailing rocks; and Upper Cabrach is traversed by a vein of serpentine. A deer forest of the Duke of Richmond, with a shooting lodge, is on the Blackwater; and a shooting-box of another proprietor is at Lesmurdie Cottage. A residence or hunting seat of Malcolm Ceannmor is traditionally said to have been at a place still called King's Haugh on Spenwell Farm. The forces of Huntly and Errol mustered in Cabrach before the battle of Glenlivet (1594). Aldivalloch, 1¾ mile WSW of the hamlet, is celebrated through the spirited song, Roy's Wife of Aldivalloch, by Mrs Grant of Carron (1745-1814). The Duke of Richmond and Gordon is chief proprietor, and 3 other landowners hold a yearly value of less than £100. Cabrach is in the presbytery of Alford and synod of Aberdeen; the living amounts to £180. The parish church (230 sittings) was built in 1786, a new U.P. church in 1873; and 2 public schools, called Upper and Lower Cabrach, with respective accommodation for 110 and 90 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 43 and 40, and grants of £38,11s. and £54,4s. Valuation of Aberdeenshire section (1881) £1346,17s.; of Banffshire section (1882) £2124,19s. 2d. Pop. (1801) 684, (1831) 978, (1851) 750, (1861) 794, (1871) 773, (1881) 682, of whom 370 were in Banffshire.Ord. Sur., shs. 75,85,1876.
An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is
Note: This text has been made available
using a process of scanning and
optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical
errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from
the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be
different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original
text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity.
This information is provided subject to our